Saturday, December 29, 2012

Master and Commander: The Far Side of 2012

It’s the end of another year - it’s time for another yearly review. I can now write about all the travels I went on this year, about the philosophical question that bugged me, or about my alias. I’m not going to do that this year. Instead, I’m going to write about leadership. Last year, ’11, was the year of “first times”. 2012 was for me the year of “leadership” and by that I don’t mean leadership by other people. I’m writing about me taking leadership. At work, I started to teach and lead the research group, at weddings, I was not any more a simple guest but either the “best man” or “the guy who married the couple”. I organized events, I chaired consultation, and I planed hikes... well a hike and only one other person showed up for that hike. A good leader knows when to do a task himself and when let other people do the work, and is not ashamed to show some tears. As a leader you have to work instead of to party.
Now, let’s try to make a forecast for the next year. What will come after “the year of postdoc”, “the year of first times”, and “the year of leadership”. Maybe, it will be “the year of inspiration”, because I write my first novel. Actually, I started to write my first two novels - so maybe 2013 will be the year of “finish one freakish thing before start a new one”.
Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment